About Me

My photo
Springfield, Illinois, United States

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Steampunk

I'm very intrigued with this new Steampunk genre. While I'm sure it's not all that new -- just new to us mid-westerners -- I've been researching its literature and fashion influence. As an avid long-time collector of Victorian jewelry, I am challenging myself to incorporate steampunk aesthetic into my jewelry creations.
My vision of steampunk involves scavenged victorian artifact treasures that are collected and collaged into a unique, wearable homage to a lost time. I'm posting a picture of my first steampunk piece that blends victorian-inspired brass, an amber stone cabachon (bezel is hand-beaded in peyote stitch) a clear lacquored ouija board/bottle cap charm dangle, on a black hand-tatted choker base (courtesy of another etsy artist, TotusMel)and scattered brass bits, beads and chrystals. These items are collaged and re-purposed in a "Mad Max" way, giving the victorian sentimentality an edge. I like the contrast of the hard brass and stone with the delicate tatting. Think Queen Victoria meets Auntie Entity...
This piece is also posted on my etsy site and has generated lots of traffic (no sale yet though...)
Mixing vintage components, stones and hand beading, bead embroidery is my style. The beadwork, in particular, is very meditative for me. (Just as it was for Morgaine in "The Mists of Avalon" -- on of my all-time fave books.)
I'm enjoying this new process and stepping out of my comfort zone and welcome feedback, suggestions, tales of your artistic journeys, or just tales.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I love the way you describe WHY you do what you do! I had never heard of "steampunk" so I learned something new! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Sue, your work is amazing and I can't wait to be wearing some shortly. signed, Michelle in Springfield

My Etsy Favorites